Health Management Information System Advisor
Position: Health Management Information System (HMIS) Advisor
Location: Bamako, Mali
Supervisor: Chief of Party/MEASURE Evaluation IV, Mali
John Snow, Inc. (JSI) is a public health management consulting and research organization dedicated to improving the health of individuals and communities throughout the world. For more than 30 years, JSI has provided high-quality technical and managerial assistance to public health programs worldwide. JSI works in partnership with governments, organizations, and host-country experts to improve quality, access and equity of health systems worldwide.
MEASURE Evaluation continues a decades-long initiative with the Carolina Population Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and sub-recipients John Snow, Inc., ICF International, Tulane University, Futures Group, and Management Sciences for Health. The overall objective of MEASURE Evaluation Phase IV is to enable countries to strengthen their systems to generate high quality health information that is used for decision making at local, national, and global levels. The project will work to achieve this objective by concentrating on these four result areas: (1) Strengthened collection, analysis and use of routine health data; (2) Improved country-level capacity to manage health information systems (HIS), resources and staff; (3) Methods, tools and approaches improved and applied to address health information challenges and gaps; and (4) Increased capacity for rigorous evaluations.
The HMIS Advisor will be supported by MEASURE Evaluation Phase IV Monitoring and Assessment for Results, a newly awarded 5-year Leader with Associates Cooperative Agreement funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) to improve monitoring and evaluation (M&E) in the health sector.
The HMIS Advisor will support the Government of Mali to strengthen the HMIS nationally. This will include working to support and improve:
- HMIS data management, including data quality
- Data use across levels of the Malian health system
- Organizational capacity of the MoH to reinforce key critical functions supporting the HMIS
- Data collection and integration for decision making.
The HMIS Advisor will be a member of the MEASURE Evaluation/Mali team.
Specific Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Support the development and validation of supportive supervision tools, HMIS support materials and standard operating procedures to improve HMIS functioning and use;
- Develop curricula for MOH staff to improve data use at each level of the health system;
- Conduct trainings for MOH staff to improve data use at each level of the health system;
- Conduct supportive supervision visits;
- Participate in the development and implementation of data collection and reporting tools and systems that correspond to the needs of decision makers at every level of the health system, as needed, and ensure compatibility with other existing systems (specifically DHIS2);
- Participate in the development of appropriate planning, monitoring, management and control systems to ensure informed decision-making and implementation of project activities;
- Participate in the monitoring of project activities and assist with documentation of best practices (what worked and what didn’t work) to ensure incorporation of lessons learned into ongoing activities;
- Work with the chief of party and the JSI/HQ team in the preparation of MEASURE Evaluation annual work plans, budgets, quarterly reports and annual progress reports to the Mission and MEASURE Evaluation headquarters;
- Perform other assigned functions relevant to MEASURE Evaluation work in Mali, based on the emerging needs either from the Mission and government agencies.
- Advance degree (MPH, MS, MIS, MA, other) in public health or related fields such as health systems or health information;
- At least 10 years “hands on experience” in HMIS, M&E, data quality assessments and related areas, with a health or related international NGO or bilateral/multilateral organization;
- Experience working with HMIS systems in other countries;
- Experience in the development and operations of robust Health Information Systems;
- Experience with adult training approaches and excellent workshop and meeting facilitation skills;
- Sound computer literacy and IT knowledge with experience in word processing, spreadsheets, databases, statistical analysis software such as SPSS, SAS, STATA or EPI-Info;
- Superior analytical skills including quantitative research activities in terms of planning, implementation and data analysis;
- Good interpersonal and people management skills and demonstrated ability to work effectively and harmoniously with other project staff, host country counterparts, USAID, consultants, other donors and international organizations;
- A team player but also able to work independently and to manage various projects on a daily basis with minimal supervision;
- Fluent in the French language. Working knowledge of English will be a strong advantage.
- Ability to travel within Mali as required by the position.
Salary Range: TBD, commensurate with experience
Interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume to:
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject line: HMIS Position/MEASURE Evaluation Mali