Virtual Leadership Development Program on Gender M&E
MEASURE Evaluation is pleased to announce a new Virtual Leadership Development Program (VLDP) focused on identifying and overcoming leadership challenges related to M&E and Gender by health teams working in M&E.
The application deadline is February 10, 2012 and the program will begin March 12, 2012.
This VLDP is for teams working on a gender-related aspect of M&E in health care: for example, sex-disaggregated data to examine differentials in HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, malaria, other infectious diseases, and reproductive health, or any data collected for gender-focused programs such as gender-based violence.
Funded by USAID, the main goal of the gender VLDP is to strengthen individual and team leadership and management practices (behaviors) and to empower those involved in the collection, reporting, analysis, and use of gender-related health data, at all levels of an organization. Please note that this is not an M&E technical skills program. The VLDP will introduce leadership practices and skills (including communications, critical thinking, and problem solving). The VLDP will give teams the opportunity to use these skills in successfully addressing specific challenges identified by the teams themselves at the beginning of the program. Such challenges might include resolving questions about how to collect sex- and age-disaggregated data, how to train community health workers on the importance of gathering gender-related data, or how to use this data to inform decisions about programs and policy changes that take gender into account.
This gender VLDP responds to the GHI Women, Girls, and Gender Equality by enhancing the ability of teams to collect and use sex- and age-disaggregated data “to enable the monitoring of progress and evaluation of effectiveness of programs related to the principle.”
If accepted to the program, participants are expected to:
- Complete all pre-program reading and all individual and team assignments during the program
- Work as a team during the VLDP and the 6-month implementation period following it
- Conduct face-to-face meetings at least every module (2 -3 hours per meeting)
- Produce demonstrable results related to their participation in the VLDP
- Work on improving leadership skills
- Invest an average of 4 – 6 hours per week on the VLDP
- Participate actively in all aspects of the VLDP
- Complete assignments in a timely manner
In return, participating teams will:
- Develop insights into their own leadership, management, and communications strengths and those of others on the team to create a stronger and more effective team
- Learn and apply leadership tools and approaches to strengthening their gender-related M&E proficiency, including how to meet and overcome challenges in order to achieve their desired results
NOTE: Unlike earlier offerings of the VLDP, this VLDP requires that PRIOR to submitting a team application, all team members need to complete the online Gender course at http://www.globalhealthlearning.org/login.cfm and submit their certificates of completion along with the team application.